Andrea qualified as an Occupational Therapist in South Africa, in 1991.
She started her career off in Acute Adult and Child & Family Mental Health, before embarking on a purely paediatric career from 1993.
Since then, she has worked in both the NHS and independently, with over 15 years experience in the NHS.
She is currently working part-time in a specialist paediatric NHS provision, whilst additionally pursuing specific independent work, under KentOT4Kids.
Training & qualifications
She has additionally completed a Masters in Early Intervention and has further qualifications in the use of additional therapeutic tools, such as –
- Therapeutic Listening Programme (see what this is)
- Wilbarger Therapressure Protocol (see what this is)
- SOS (Sequential Oral Sensory) Approach to Fussy Eaters (see what this is)
Andrea has supplementary training in 24 hour complex postural care, including the provision of specialist equipment in the home and educational environment.
She attends regular courses, interest groups and peer supervision, to update her current knowledge and skill base.
Helping others learn
Andrea has been involved in providing training to schools and Early Years Settings, focusing on strategies to manage sensory processing difficulties and motor skill development within the educational settings.
Through her numerous work opportunities, Andrea has developed skills in engaging families in the assessment and treatment process, delivering wide-ranging assessment and treatment packages according to the child’s specific need, and working with a diverse and complex caseload.
As a Paediatric OT, Andrea works with children who have diverse and complex needs, such as –
- learning and physical disabilities – including severe and complex physical difficulties
- co-ordination difficulties – including Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) – including Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- registered with the Health and Care Professions Council
- a Professional member of Royal College of Occupational Therapists
- a member of Specialist Sections of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists – Children, Young People & Families, as well as the Independent Practitioners Specialist Section
- Professional Member of the Sensory Integration Network
Andrea has co-authored 2 articles on: